Sunday 17 February 2013

Week One

So now I've been at Hands base a whole week, I'm trying to proccess everything that we've seen and done.

This is not an easy task.

From the photos that I'm going to be putting on Facebook and have posted here already, you might be forgiven for thinking that we're simply hanging out and seeing the sights. The truth however is that we're constantly surrounded by contrast. We have beautiful scenary all around us and some of the most amazing views, and we've spent a lot of time together, getting to know one another and settling in. However, what I've not been able to explain or process or really even know where to start with is the time that we've spent with the Hands communities, community care workers and with the Children that they serve.
Again, just like last year I have been challened by both the scale and the awful reality of the social problems that face the orphaned children, widows and the communities in general of the communities that Hands at Work are involved with.

As we start a new week I'm looking forward to meeting more of the Children and Care Workers in the communities and learning their stories. How they got to be here, what are their lives like day to day and what challenges they face.

I feel like I'm seeing a lot, and trying to actually take it all in, but being a bit overwhelmed by it.
It makes me realise again how much of a bubble we live in at home and it challenges me to think again about how on earth I can reconcile life here and life at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment